Why you need ethically made jewellery for 2023.
When it comes to gold-filled hand-made jewellery specifically, it's even more important to take into account the ethical and environmental impact of the production process. Gold mining can be a destructive process, both to the environment and to the communities surrounding the mines. It's important to ensure that the gold used in the jewellery is mined in an environmentally responsible way and that the artisans and small businesses producing the jewellery are treated fairly.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when looking to purchase ethical gold-filled hand-made jewellery:
1. Look for certifications: Look for certifications such as Fair-trade Gold, which ensures that the gold used in the jewellery is mined in an environmentally responsible way and that workers are paid fair wages. This guarantees that the gold is mined responsibly and that the people who produce it are treated fairly. Fairtrade Gold also ensures that the communities surrounding the mines receive a fair share of the benefits of the mining process, such as funding for community development projects.
2. Choose handmade: By choosing hand-made jewellery, you are supporting artisans and small businesses, rather than mass-produced jewellery that may not be ethically made. This helps to support local communities and small businesses and promotes sustainable practices. Handmade jewellery is also often more unique and special, making it a more meaningful purchase.
3. Investigate the company: Research the company that produces the jewellery to ensure that they have a commitment to ethical practices and transparency in their supply chain. This allows you to support companies that are making a positive impact on the world and have clear traceability of their products. A good company should have an open and transparent supply chain and be willing to share information about its sourcing and production practices.
4. Consider the origin of the materials: Choose materials that is ethically sourced, such as that which is made in a way that does not harm the environment or local communities. This helps to protect the environment and communities that are affected by the producing the materials and ensure that the all the resources for the jewellery is responsibly made.
5. Do not support the junk jewellery company, suport the jewellery company that use the materials that does last for long time: Of course, my bank account would be very sad if we bought all our accessories in pure gold. it is more sustainable to choose jewellery of higher quality that can be worn for an extended period. This not only benefits the environment by reducing waste, but it also promotes responsible consumption. Instead of choosing fast fashion or disposable jewellery, consider investing in pieces that will stand the test of time and can be cherished for years to come.
6. Shop at Ethical Stores: Look for jewellery retailers that are committed to ethical practices and sell only ethically produced jewellery, including gold-filled hand-made jewellery. This allows you to support businesses that are making a positive impact on the world and have clear traceability of their products. Ethical stores should be able to provide information about the origin and sourcing of the products they sell.
When it comes to gold-filled hand-made jewellery, it's important to consider the ethical side of the production process. Gold-filled jewellery is made by bonding a thick layer of gold to a base metal, which is often less expensive than solid gold jewellery, making it a more affordable option for many people. However, it's important to ensure that the gold used in the jewellery is responsibly mined and that the artisans producing the jewellery are treated fairly. By choosing ethical gold-filled hand-made jewellery, you can ensure that the gold used in your jewellery is responsibly mined and that the artisans producing the jewellery are treated fairly.
When looking for ethical gold-filled hand-made jewellery, it's also important, At OHZO By J, we only work with jewellers who treat their employees with ethically made items and fair wages. Finding an ethical manufacturer is harder than you think and may not be as competitive in the industry. However, we will continue to work with factories or companies that make products ethically if we can, and we believe this is what OHZO is all about and it is another mission to accomplish for us in 2023.